Speaking "Pelsh"

A couple of weeks ago I worked alongside two colleagues, Anna and Aneta; both Polish interpreters. I’ve had the pleasure of working with Anna before, but did not know Aneta. Before the assignment we spoke briefly in Polish about organisational aspect of the work ahead. Aneta took first stint as we decided to alternate during the long assignment.

When she started to interpret into English I was instantly struck by her beautiful accent – a very unusual and melodic combination: perfect English with a hint of Polish accent and overtones of Welsh lilt. On our break Aneta confirmed that although Polish born and bred, she has lived in Swansea for a number of years. There was no trace of Welsh song when she spoke in her mother tongue.

Whilst it isn’t unusual for a foreigner to acquire a regional accent in their second language: I have friends of various nationalities who pronounce English words with their local accent, it got me thinking about my own accent; purportedly Scottish. I have never lived in Scotland, but simply being married to a Scot and talking to him every day (well almost…) for 20 years had an impact on the way I pronounce words in English. It causes some amusement when people ask me occasionally from where in Scotland I come.

There has been a lot of research on factors affecting foreign accent in the second language. However, the studies focus predominantly on the transfer of accent from the first language to a second language, rather than how someone acquires another accent later on in life. I struggle to find a study on influences of local accent on the second language. I can only speculate that we mimic the pronunciation we hear the most. Despite the fact I have lived in England for 20 years, the accent I was exposed to most frequently and consistently over the years has been that of my husband.


I find it fascinating. Three of us worked on the assignment and when we spoke Polish we were indistinguishable yet when we spoke English, our second language and a language of habitual everyday use, we all had different accent combinations. It’s something that makes each interpreter unique.

Comments

Popular Posts