Expert Reviewer – adding value for your client



Increasingly my clients ask me to review translations. Two of my main clients have been commissioning me exclusively for reviewing and proofreading over the last couple of years. Clients also ask me to moderate in cases where translator rejects a proof-reader’s changes.

How did I become the preferred Reviewer/Moderator? I am a trained and experienced assessor. I work for the ITI as an assessor in the Qualified Translator Assessments from English into Polish. I also completed Polish proofreading courses and received feedback on my editing skills. When reviewing I frequently refer to the ITI Assessor Handbook as well as the resources from my proofreading course.

However, there is something more important to clients than qualifications and experience, namely the value I add to my proofreading/reviewing/editing services. Here is how I do it:

 I respect the work of the translator and I do not make preferential changes. I do not need to justify my fee that way. If the translator did an excellent job, I tell the client.

  • I provide detailed feedback. Reviewer feedback is an important part of the assignment and clients appreciate it. I provide feedback for good and bad translations, always in a professional and respectful manner.
  • I provide constructive comments for the translator and client which explain my changes. I even provide links to relevant grammar/punctuation rules. If a translator makes a mistake repeatedly, I advise a reference book to buy/consult.
  • I ask for any reference materials and/or specific instructions that given to translator.
  • I ask questions whenever I am unsure about anything.
  • I inform client if I see errors or inconsistencies in the source text and I do so as soon as I spot them, so they can clarify any issues with their client before I complete my task.
  • I inform client if I see errors or inconsistencies in locked pre-translated segments as soon as I spot them, so they can unlock them for amendments.
  • I always run spell-check and quality assurance after I finish editing.
  • I always resolve any errors and warnings highlighted by QA.
  • I always deliver on time. I often deliver early, because when I agree a delivery deadline I factor in extra time for any unforeseen issues, which could potentially delay me.

In the translation context editing and reviewing play a vital role in ensuring that the text does not contain substantive and linguistic errors and reads well – in other words polished to perfection and ready for its intended use.

Comments

Popular Posts