5 simple steps to verify new client’s credibility






I have provided my translation services to over a hundred clients over the years. Clients come in different shapes and sizes: some are good, some are bad, and some are plain ugly. I am talking about metaphorical ugliness, of course: the ogres who commission work with no intention of paying. Most translators will fall for it once, some more trusting individuals might fall for it twice. If you fall for it three times you should probably question whether running your own business suits your personality. There are preventative steps you can take to avoid being deceived. They do not guarantee that your invoice will be paid, but it will largely increase your chances of avoiding disappointment.


Last week I was contacted by an unfamiliar translation agency, let’s call them Company Y, and asked to interpret for them. I provided my quote and while waiting for their response I took the following steps:


1.   Website check. I carefully read their website’s Home page and About us page and made notes of information, such as the time they claim to be in business. This information can be easily verified in step 4. Company Y stated on their website that they have been trading for 15 years.

2.   Social media check. You will often find social media buttons on the website, but I have found on occasions that they are not genuine. Company Y had Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube buttons. I tried them all: Twitter account existed, but it has hardly been used, LinkedIn account did not exist, and YouTube link took me to YouTube’s own home page.

3.   Accreditation check. If a company is associated with a professional organisation or has ISO certification, they normally display relevant logo on their website. Accreditation and memberships confirm professional status. Company Y had no logos, but according to them they were the best in business.

4.   Companies House check. This website provides information how long a company has been trading and names of people involved with the business. Company Y started trading 3 years ago, not 15, as they stated on their website. You can also check whether the company changed their name and note it down.

5.   Google the company’s name with additional keywords, such as “payment”. If the company is a bad payer you will get hits, usually posts from complaining translators on Proz.com. Google the previous name too, if they had one, and you might find that the company had been a bad payer before and the owners had changed the name of the business to carry on deceiving their suppliers.


I declined the assignment from Company Y stating I was no longer available, but the real reason was that they lacked credibility in my eyes.


I’m sure there are other steps that could be taken to research your potential new client, but these usually work for me, cost nothing and don’t take much time. What do you do to verify new contact’s credibility?





Comments

Popular Posts